The zucchini love-fest continues as more and more zucchini are ready to be harvested from my vegetable garden. Always on the search for new uses for this delicious, nutty, robust veggie, I stumbled across this recipe from e is for eat. The original recipe found HERE was made with ground turkey, which was delicious the first time I made it. However, this time I didn't have any ground turkey but I did have some leftover homemade refried beans, so I decided to use them instead.
Keep reading for picture instructions for quick and healthy Refried Beans and Quinoa-Stuffed Zucchini.
Refried Beans and Quinoa-Stuffed Zucchini
Makes enough for 1-2 servings, with leftover stuffing
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup of your favourite tomato sauce (I used my mom's homemade sauce), or crushed tomatoes.
- Olive oil - just enough for brushing onto the zucchini and sautéing onions.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese (enough to sprinkle on top)
- Fresh herbs: parsley, oregano, basil
| || || |
13. Put back in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes longer, just enough for the cheese to melt and the whole dish to cook together.
14. There will be leftover filling that you can use at a later date. It makes a great filling for a wrap!